Physical Education Teacher Education
Physical Education Teacher Education – Upon graduation, students are qualified to apply for an Illinois Professional Teaching Licensure, valid to teach in Illinois public and private schools, kindergarten through twelfth grade, promoting physical activity and health with children and youth. In keeping with the vision and mission of SIUC, the program is to not only prepare students to become excellent physical education teachers, but also valuable members of the school and local community.
Why the Southern Illinois University Carbondale PETE Program?
- There are a number of reasons why the Southern Illinois University Carbondale PETE Program is a great choice for you. Below are just a few of the benefits:
- You may enter the program as a freshman or transfer from another institution.
- We offer low faculty –student ratios to enhance your personal instruction.
- Faculty members are experienced leaders in the field of Physical Education.
- PETE candidates, upon acceptance into the PETE /TEP program will immediately begin clinical observation and teaching field experience in the surrounding k-12 schools prior to actually student teaching. We want you to experience the physical education classroom early and often in your collegiate career.
- PETE teacher candidate will complete a 16 week student teaching experience at both the elementary and secondary levels.
- Several student teaching sites are available to suit your needs, from local schools in southern Illinois to sites near Chicago and St Louis.