We have Spirit
The Announcements are designed to reflect Saluki Spirit!
- There is a growing group of Saluki Spirit Liaisons who represent their Dept, unit, campus office, student group, community business, civic group, etc. There isn't a whole lot involved with the Liaison job - basically just forwarding on information that you would receive from Dr. Anton on a weekly basis. The idea is to get Liaisons for all campus and community groups, so that when the Announcements come through, they are coming from someone whose name is familiar to those they are sending them to - basically a grass-roots movement. If you know of anyone who might be interested in serving in this role, please have them contact Dr. Anton.
- #SalukiFriday is upon us again: remember to wear your Saluki gear on Fridays!
- Send pics of your group(s) to Dr. Anton, as well as Randy Johnson at 710: firstname.lastname@example.org Photos will be featured in future Saluki Spirit Announcements as well as on 710's Facebook and Twitter platforms.
- As indicated last week, a visit was paid to 710 Bookstore on #SalukiFriday last Friday. Those pictures will be up on the "SIUC Departement of Kinesiology" Facebook page and the Dept. of Kinesiology Twitter page (https://twitter.com/SIUC_KIN) on Friday. We are visiting the Student Health Center this week - look for those pics next Friday.
- The winner of the informal Facebook Poll for the pics taken with Saluki Strength and Conditioning is at the end of this email.
- Saluki Men's Tennis is back on the court at Sports Blast on Friday, Feb. 17 vs. Belmont starting at 2 PM.
- The Dept. of Kinesiology Organization of Sport and Exercise Science (RSO) will once again be providing fitness screening at the Southern Illinois Men's Expo, a free event for men being held on Feb. 25. For more information, please see: http://simensexpo.org/
- Saluki Women's Golf kicks off their spring season at the Ball State Sunshine Invitational in Port St. Lucie, FL this Friday and Saturday, Feb. 10 and 11. If you are unable to journey south, follow their progress on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_WGolf
- The Saluki Women's and Men's Track and Field teams competed Feb. 3-4 at the Don Denoon Invite at the Rec Center and came away with a double victory, claiming both the team titles. The team is back in action at the Music City Classic this weekend on Feb. 10-11 in Nashville. If you are unable to make the trip, follow their results on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_TrackXC Congrats to pole-vaulter Cara Engel (animal science), this weeks Saluki Student-Athlete of the Week!
- Saluki Women's Tennis has two matches upcoming on Sun. Feb. 12 vs. Univ. of Central Arkansas (1 PM) and Murray State (5 PM) in Hardin, KY. If you are unable to make it to the Kentucky for one or both of the matches, you can track them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SIU_WTennis
- Saluki Softball kicks off it's season this weekend with five games Feb. 10-12 at the Lion Classic in Hammond, LA. If you are unable to get down to the bayou, follow them on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_Softball
- The International Festival opened on Feb. 6 and continues with the Cultural Show at 7 PM on Feb. 10 in the Student Center Ballrooms. SIU students from across the world will showcase their countries and cultures through song, dance, short plays, martial arts demos, and many other methods. For more info, go to: www.studentcenter.siu.edu/internationalfest
- Saluki Men's Basketball has upcoming games on: Sat. Feb. 11 at vs. Evansville at the Arena at 3 PM.
Wed, Feb. 15 at Wichita St. at the Arena at 6 PM
Saturdays game will feature haltime recognition of the 50th anniversary of SIU's NIT Championship team, including a visit from Walt Frazier.
Congrats to Thik Bol who was named this weeks MVC Newcomer of the Week!
- Our Spirit Spies tell us that the Saluki Swim/Dive Crew of Distraction will be in the house for both upcoming home games. If you haven't seen their act, you are missing out! Thanks to the team for continuing to be a shining example of Saluki Spirit!
- Speaking of distraction, the Dept. of Kinesiology Organization of Sport and Exercise Science did their best Crew of Distraction imitation at the Saluki Women's Basketball game on Feb. 10. Their jumping jacks, running in place, etc. forced 3 missed free throws as the team nearly took out undefeated, league-leading Drake. Thanks OSES!
If other teams and student groups to wish to join in the fun and be the Crew of Distraction at future games, contact Dr. Anton
- Both the Men's and Women's Saluki Swimming and Diving teams took out Evansville this past weekend and now look to their upcoming conference championships. The women will be in Iowa City, Feb. 15-18 and the men will be at Shea Natatorium (SIUC Rec. Center) Mar. 1-4. Track them on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_SwimDive
- Saluki Women's Basketball has games upcoming on:
Fri, Feb. 10 at 7 PM at Missouri St.
Sun., Feb. 12 at Wichita St. at 2 PM
Fri., Feb. 17 at the Arena vs. Evansville at 6 PM
If you can/t make it to Springfield or Wichita, listen in on 105.1
- Saluki Men's Baseball is picked 2nd in the MVC pre-season poll and gets its season underway on Feb. 17 at Stetson. They open their home season on March 3 vs. Western Illinois at the Itch Follow them on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_Baseball
- Saluki Men's Golf hits the course on Feb. 27 & 28 at the Louisiana Lafayette Classics Invitational. If you can't make the trip, follow them on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_MGolf
GO DAWGS! #WEAREALLSALUKIS
WINNER OF THIS WEEK'S INFORMAL FACEBOOK POLL:
SALUKI STRENGTH & CONDITIONING GA LUKE STANDIFORD'S CLIENT HAS A LITTLE TROUBLE KEEPING THINGS LEVEL COMING OUT OF THE SQUAT RACK ON #SALUKIFRIDAY...