We have Spirit
SALUKI SPIRIT ANNOUNCEMENTS- WEEK OF March 6TH - 10TH, 2017
The Announcements are designed to reflect Saluki Spirit!
- #SalukiFriday is upon us again: remember to wear your Saluki gear on Fridays!
- This past week the Department of Workforce Education and Development proudly celebrated Saluki Spirit Fridays wearing their maroon (or quasi-maroon)
- A visit was paid to the Saluki Athletic Training room on #SalukiFriday last week. Those pictures will be up on the "SIUC Department of Kinesiology" Facebook page and the Dept. of Kinesiology Twitter page (https://twitter.com/SIUC_KIN) on Friday. We also visited the Department of Radio, Television, and Digital Media - look for those pics next Friday, 3/17.
- The winner of the informal Facebook Poll for the pics taken at the Arena with Physical Plant Services is at the end of this email.
- The Men's Saluki Swimming and Diving team finished off its season with a 5th place finish at the ultra-competitive MAC Championships on Mar. 1-4 at the Shea Natatorium (SIUC Rec. Center). The team garnered a variety of honors, including Andre Brilhante (economics) and Fillippo Dell'Olio (liberal arts) who were both named to the All-MAC First Team, along with Bobby Wood (aviation flight) who was named to the Second Team. Freshman diver Kai Hoffmann-Dussomme (exercise science) was named the MAC's Freshman Diver of the Year. Brilhante was also named MAC Outstanding Senior Swimmer of the Year.
- This spring will mark the 44th Annual Great Cardboard Boat Regatta. The Regatta will take place on Saturday, April 29th at the Carbondale Reservior in Evergreen Park from 10 am - 4 PM. A great way to show your Saluki Spirit! More details to come.
- Saluki Women's Basketball takes a 4-game winning streak into the MVC Women's Basketball Tourney in the Quad Cities this weekend (Hoops in the Heartland). Their first game is on Friday, Mar. 10 at 2:30 PM vs. Wichita St. If you can't make it to Moline, you can catch them online on ESPN3.
The Dawgs brought in numerous awards from the MVC:
Rishonda Napier (economics) and Kylie Giebelhausen (exercise science) were both named First Team All-MVC and Nicole Martin (chemistry) was named to the All-Freshman Team. Congrats Rishonda, Kylie, and Nicole!
- Rishonda was named to the MVC Scholar-Athlete First Team along with Kim Nebo (biological sciences), while Kylie was named to the Second Team. Congrats Kim, Kylie, and Rishonda!
- Saluki Women's Softball took 1 of 4 games at the Coach B Classic, Mar 3-5, battling some very talented teams. They hit the field again this weekend Mar. 10-12 for a slate of 5 games at the Rebel Classic in Las Vegas.
- If you are unable to get down to Sin City, follow them on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_Softball
Susie Baranski (elementary education) was named the MVC Newcomer of the Week. Congrats Susie!
- Dr. Harvey Henson of the Department of Curriculum and Instruction has put together an interactive kiosk that highlights earthquake safety info at the Southern Illinois Science Center, located at University Mall in Carbondale. For more info, go to: http://news.siu.edu/2017/02/021517tjc17004.php
- Saluki Men's Golf took 10th in a stacked field Feb. 27 & 28 at the Louisiana Lafayette Classics Invitational. For his efforts, Brandon Carlson(health care management) was named MVC Men's Golfer of the Week. Congrats Brandon!
- The team is back on the links this weekend Mar. 10-12 at the Seminole Intercollegiate. If you can't make it to Tallahassee, follow them on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_MGol
- Saluki Men's Baseball started their home season with a sweep of Western Illinois over the weekend. They return to the diamond this weekend (Mar. 10-12) for a 3-game set with Memphis and then Mar. 14 vs. Arkansas St.
- If you can't make it to the Memphis or Jonesboro, follow them on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_Baseball
After a great week, Greg Lambert (management) was named MVC Scholar Athlete of the Week. Congrats Greg!
- After taking 4 straight, Saluki Women's Tennis dropped one to a tough Louisville team. They are back on the court:
Sat. Mar. 11 at Arkansas St. at 1 PM
Sun. Mar. 12 at Memphis at 10 AM
Mon. Mar. 13 at Alabama at 12 PM
- If you are unable to make it to Jonesboro, Memphis, or Montgomery, catch up with the team on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SIU_WTennis
- Remember to mark your calendars for April 1, 2017, The Big Event: A Saluki Day of Service, the largest one-day, student-run service project in the history of SIU Carbondale. We want to show our new and long-standing community partners how much we appreciate their support of our university. For more info go to http://www.thebigevent.siu.edu/
- Saluki Men's Basketball was 1-1 to end their season, splitting games with Loyola and Illinois St. at Arch Madness in St. Louis.
- Saluki Women's Golf took their 7th straight Top 5 finish at the Islanders Classic in Corpus Christi, TX on Feb. 27-28. They return to the course Mar. 13-14 at the Bradley Spring Break Invitational in Dallas. If you are unable to make to the Lone Star state, follow their progress on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_WGolf
- Mark your calendars:
The Dept. of Kinesiology Organization of Sport and Exercise Science (RSO) provided fitness screening at the Southern Illinois Men's Expo on Sat. Feb. 25 at the Black Diamond Harley Davidson Entertainment Center. We got many compliments on their professionalism and enthusiasm!
- Saluki Men's Track and Field finished 2nd while Saluki Women's Track and Field finished 4th at the MVC Indoor Championships at Univ. of Northern Iowa (Feb. 24-25). The men placed 3 athletes in the 2017 NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships, March 10-11 in College Station, TX. Warren Hazel (400m dash, information systems technology), Jared Kern (shot put, exercise science), and Kyle Landon (high jump, accounting) will all represent the SIU at the national competition. If you are unable to make it to Texas, catch their results on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SIU_TrackXC
- ESPN3 will also stream the meet live and ESPN2 will re-air the championships on Sunday, Mar 12 at 6 PMAfter winning 7 matches in a row, Saluki Men's Tennis dropped a tough one to Iowa. The team has the following matches upcoming:
Sat. Mar. 11 at Austin Peay St. at 12 PM
Sun. Mar. 12 at Alabama A&M at 11 AM
Mon. Mar 13 at Alabama St. at 12 PM
Tues. Mar. 14 at Troy at 2:30 PM
- If you are unable to make it to Clarksville, Huntsville, Montgomery, or Troy, keep up with the team on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/SIU_MTennis?lang=enDr. Donald Boydston and Dr. Donald Beggs were inducted into the MVC Hall of Fame during the Arch Madness weekend in STL. Congrats to both of these great Salukis!
GO DAWGS! #WEAREALLSALUKIS
WINNER OF THIS WEEK'S INFORMAL FACEBOOK PICTURE POLL:
ON #SALUKIFRIDAY, WE HAD A LITTLE TROUBLE STAYING ON THE COURT WHILE DRIVING THE FLOOR MACHINE, MUCH TO THE CONSTERNATION OF PHYSICAL PLANT SERVICES BUILDING FOREMAN, TOM WALLACE
TOP | Back to Saluki Spirits HOME