MISSION AND VALUES
Mission of the MPH Program:
The mission of the Master of Public Health Program in Community Health Education at SIU Carbondale is to promote public health through professional preparation of community health educators, ongoing development of practitioners, community service, and research/evaluation related to public health.
MPH PROGRAM VALUES:
The values advanced by the faculty and students affiliated with the SIUC MPH program include:
- Bi-directional LEARNING through teaching and shared, interactive experiences;
- SERVICE through participation in initiatives that contribute to a rich experience in university, community, and professional settings;
- DISCOVERY through participation in collaborative and interdisciplinary research that leads to publishable works and other scholarly products that advance the public health evidence-base;
- A healthy and supportive work ENVIRONMENT that recognizes achievement, cultivates professional development of its faculty, staff, and students, and is fair, equitable, nurturing, and respectful, as well as free from actions that compromise personal well-being and growth; and
- DIVERSITY, through inclusiveness and respect for individuals and groups of different backgrounds, interests, cultures, and practices.
The core values of the MPH program are operationalized in teaching, research, and service. These core values are integrated in coursework, community service, and research. Moreover, they demonstrate a commitment to practice that is imbued with strong ethical principles. The MPH program concentrates on integrating contemporary public health issues facing rural communities with its teaching/learning, research/discovery, and service activities.
MPH GOAL STATEMENTS:
- LEARNING GOAL STATEMENT:
The MPH program will advance a teaching-learning community that nurtures research/discovery, leadership, and ethical practice for faculty and students to help build and maintain a competent, professionally-prepared public health workforce.
- SERVICE GOAL STATEMENT:
Persons affiliated with the MPH program will attain leadership positions in service to the University, the profession, and the local community and beyond that promote these entities.
- DISCOVERY GOAL STATEMENT:
Persons affiliated with the MPH program will create and disseminate new knowledge through interdisciplinary initiatives to inform public health practice applying professional and ethical standards.
- ENVIRONMENT GOAL STATEMENT:
The MPH program will enhance its overall capacity to build and sustain the public health workforce by providing a work setting that facilitates faculty, staff, and student success, and by sustaining a strong intellectual environment outside of the classroom.
- DIVERSITY GOAL STATEMENT:
The MPH program will engage diverse faculty, staff, and students to work toward health equity and social justice, without discrimination, for the people of the surrounding communities, the State of Illinois, the nation, and in the world community.