Masters Time Limits/Continuing Enrollment | WED | SIU

Southern Illinois University



College of Education and Human Services

Time Limits/Continuing Enrollment

Master of Science in Education Degree

A student has six calendar years to complete the degree. This time is calculated from initial enrollment to completion of all degree requirements including any document that must be approved by the Graduate School. This time limit includes courses taken either at SIUC or elsewhere. All students must remain registered until completion of their degrees.

Continuing Enrollment Requirement

All students in a graduate program but not enrolled in classes by the Friday of the first week of the Fall or the Spring semesters must be registered for one hour of WED 601. This hour will be dropped if the student subsequently enrolls in a class that semester or is granted a leave of absence. WED master's students may apply for leave of absence for three semesters. Students on leave are not required to enroll in WED 601 for the period of leave but a leave of absence does not affect the time-to-degree requirements. The requirement of the WED 601 enrollment ends when a student passes the six years to complete a master's, the five years of doctoral candidacy, or officially withdraws from a program or graduates. Students who are granted extensions to these time limits would be covered by this revised WED 601 policy. Summer sessions are exempt from the continuous enrollment requirement.

WED 601 - Continuing Enrollment

Registration in WED 601 (one hour per semester) is required of all graduate students, whether in residence or not, who are not otherwise enrolled for Fall or Spring semesters. Concurrent registration in any other course is not permitted.

Students registering for WED 601 are assessed only in-state tuition for the credit hour associated with the registration. Since none of the other student fees are assessed for WED 601, the student is not eligible for the benefits of any other programs such as Recreation Center use, Health Service and Student Medical Benefits, Students' Attorney Program assistance, etc. Students needing the above benefits that require fees may instead register for additional research, thesis, or dissertation hours.

(Source: Adapted from the 2009-2010 Graduate Catalog)